(1819-1909 ) was born á Steig in Sandavág. His father was the last lawman in the Faroe Islands.
In 1847 Vencelaus got a degree in theology. It is said that Hammershaimb is the father of the written language of the Faroe Islands. In olden days people used to write like they spoke, this resulted in written dialects. Hammershaimb saw that if Faroese were to survive as a language for the islands then this would not do. He published a book on orthography. It was revised later and got its final form in - Færøsk Anthologi - Faroese Anthology. It is still in use to this day. Hammershaimb died on April 8’th 1909.
In 1916 during a meeting of the youth organisation Vón they agreed to erect a memorial á Steig in connection with the centennial of V.U. Hammershaimbs birth. It was agreed that a petition would be sent throughout the faroes to raise the money for the memorial. People liked the idea and they were able to raise 7.000 crowns.
H.C.W. Tórgarð was asked to come up with a design and Petur Arge was commissioned with the construction of the memorial.
The youth in the village took it upon themselves to get the stones needed. The memorial was unveiled on the March 25’th 1919.
The bishop Jákup Dahl held the unveiling speech. He was also asked to choose what should be written on the memorial to best commemorate the work that Hammershaimb had done for the Faroese language. He chose a verse from - Regin smið – Regin the blacksmith.
The Lawman’s farm
The Lawman’s farm was á Steig from 1555 till 1816 when the office of the Lawman was decommissioned. By that time there had been 17 Lawmen serving in office. The first Lawman was Guttorm Andersen.
Belonging to the farm was half of all land belonging to the village.
The farm consisted of several buildings close to the river – Stórá – Large river.
Hammershaimb mentions in his writings on place names from 1853 the building – Stórstova – Large house for the lawman and his family - Smástova – Little house for the servants and – á Heyggi – on the hill was for the barn.
Stallá – Stable river runs close by where the barn was. It probably gets its name from the lawman’s stable. There were many outbuildings like a corn house, a mill, a curing house and a boat house down by the beach.
Jørgen Frants Hammershaimb was the last to hold the office of Lawman in the Faroe Islands. He held the office from 1805 till 1816 when the Logting was decommissioned.