Down by the beach used to be old and new boat-houses. The boats would be on the sand but when the weather got bad they would pull them inside. The boat-house log has been there for as long as people can remember. It is a piece of driftwood that been laying alongside the old boat-houses by the river. Here men have gathered after a hard day at work or on the weekend to talk about this and that.
The beach used to be so big that it was on height with the boat-houses. The fishermen used to pull their boats up on to the beach when they came back from fishing right up till the time the boat-harbour was constructed.
The beach was a hive of activity; people would be building new boats, mending old ones and cooking fish oil.
The children playing on the beach and the men playing football. Since the war the beach has reduced in size. The stone embankment was built in the 1990’s in order to protect the beach.
Churchill and the church bridge
The embankment by the beach is called Churchill. Here down by the sea used to be a church and a cemetery. Because of erosion by the sea the cemetery began to take serious damage and in 1741 it was relocated to where it is now. In order to provide protection from the surf they constructed a stone wall.
The old landing
When fishermen used to come back from the sea they would put the fish up on a place called - Hólki – before dragging the boats up on to the beach. Also when people went to Torshavn or on a shorter journey they would get in to the boat at – Hólki -.
First opened August 23rd 1896 it had only one classroom and a small hallway in the north end. The school was extended in 1909 and accommodations built for the teacher.
The author Hans Andrias Djurhuus was teaching here from 1909 till 1916.
A house was built for the teacher in 1929 and the accommodations inside the school were made in to another classroom. In 1933 the attic was rebuilt in to an apartment for the second teacher.
Out by the port
Úti á Bakka – has always been busy with regards to fishing. There have been six warehouses built out here and five of them are still standing today. – Bartalstovupakkhúsið – House of Bartal’s warehouse is the oldest one. They opened up for business back in 1870 and were the first shop in the village. – Loftapakkhúsið – the Loft warehouse ( 1914 ) – Zachariasar pakkhús – Zacharias’ warehouse ( 1953/54 ) – Pakkhúsið úti við Gjógv – the warehouse by the ravine ( 1912 ) and – Mathiasarpakkhús – Mathews warehouse. All of the warehouses received fish and dried fish outside and inn.
The fish drying field by the ravine
The fish drying field was built in two stages with the northern part constructed first. It is evident because the stones in the southern part are different.
In the late 1930’s they put a roof over the ravine, put iron rails, timber on top and metal plates on the outside. A rail cart would move the fish out to the field and back in to the warehouse. It can still be seen today. The fish drying field was repaired in 2015.
The Lawman had a lot of sheep and alot of sheeps heads. His servants would eat them for breakfast and dinner during the days when they had to go in to the mountains. They would take a head with them and eat it by the house. So many heads have been eaten here that the place is still called Skrovbeinafløta - scull-field.
At – Reynabrúgv – there are found two stone built houses dating back to around the 1840’s. They were for storing turf for fuel in. Over time they fell down but have since been re-erected and stand in good condition. The southern one in 1978 and the northern one in 2015. Today they stand as a testimony to times passed.
The ocean by Fótamørsklett
Fótamørsklettur is a marker showing the devision between – Heimanhús – Kvígandal – Oyragjógv and Rákarhaga. The Ocean is a stone of over 100 kilos, big, cumbersome and used to test the strength of men. The ocean is situated close to Fótamørsklettur.
The building of the school began in the 1950’s and in the spring of 1961 the school was finished so that on April 3’rd it was opened.
In 2014 a spectacular new school opened incorporating all the latest technology.
The artist Eli Smith was commissioned to create some art for decorating the school. In the fall of 2013 after a long period of preparation, deliberation, drawing and cutting all kinds of stones Eli could finally begin putting together his masterpiece.
A long image of slate pieces depicting the story of the Sheppard from Sandavág. Stones of all colours are gathered from all over the world.